Low Carb all it is cracked up to be?
Keto, Atkins, Paleo, Low-Carb Mediterranean!!!!
WHAT TO DO!!!!!
So for years I have railed against these types of diets. Honestly how could cramming your body with all of that FAT make you lose weight. Then lets not forget about the lack of fiber and what that does to you. UGH I feel the constipation thinking about it. Well never the less I have seen many people try these and have success at weight loss. HOWEVER!!!! I have also seen them gain back the weight. Plus some. So about a month ago I entered into a weight loss competition locally. I decided to do it the old fashioned way by low fat, high fiber, exercise. I had some health set backs by getting Shingles, (believe me you do not want to move with that!! Much less sweat!) So while dealing with that for weeks upon agonizing weeks I managed to lose 7 pounds. Do not get me wrong I am super pleased with the loss but there is a $1000 prize up for grabs and a cruise and I WANT IT!!!!
So this post is going to remain very short because I want to leave room for updates. (not like I have limited space or anything I just don't want you all to get bored before you get to my update. Now here are the choices for me Keto or Atkins. I have friends who have and are doing one or the other. For me I do not see a difference. NO Really I don't! I read a list of acceptable foods and from what I saw IT WAS THE SAME!!!!
Seriously! have a look!
Foods to Eat
You should base your diet around these healthy foods.
- Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon and others.
- Fatty fish and seafood: Salmon, trout, sardines, etc.
- Eggs: The healthiest eggs are Omega-3 enriched or pastured.
- Low-carb vegetables: Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus and others.
- Full-fat dairy: Butter, cheese, cream, full-fat yogurt.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Healthy fats: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil.
As long as you base your meals around a fatty protein source with vegetables or nuts and some healthy fats, then you will lose weight. It's that simple.
In general, you can eat from the following food groups:
- Fats & Oils. Try to get your fat from natural sources like meat and nuts. Supplement with saturated and monounsaturated fats like coconut oil, butter, and olive oil.
- Protein. Try to stick with organic, pasture-raised and grass-fed meat where possible. Most meats don’t have added sugar in them, so they can be consumed in moderate quantity. Remember that too much protein on a ketogenic diet is not a good thing.
- Vegetables. Fresh or frozen doesn’t matter. Stick with above ground vegetables, leaning toward leafy/green items.
- Dairy. Most dairy is fine, but make sure to buy full-fat dairy items. Harder cheeses typically have fewer carbs.
- Nuts and Seeds. In moderation, nuts and seeds can be used to create some fantastic textures. Try to use fattier nuts like macadamias and almonds.
- Beverages. Stay simple and stick to mostly water. You can flavor it if needed with stevia-based flavorings or lemon/lime juice.
I am seriously not seeing a lot of difference.
SO!!! Here is the thing I am going to try Atkins. It is the most familiar to me and they have the nifty little helpful things to help curb cravings that is ready to go. So I will be updating again on this post in about a week and we will see where I am with this. I hope I do not get the "keto-flu" that is something I saw that was described as side effects from when your body is making the change into ketosis. Yes Atkins is based on the idea of shifting the body into ketosis just like the KETO diet. JUST SAYING.
OOOOOKKKKKK folks Let me just say that switching to a low carb - high protein diet is not all it is cracked up to be. I do not care how much bacon that I can eat, when I want a slice of toast or a peanut butter jelly sandwich, I WANT IT!!! Now since I did this post I lost 7 lbs. I have had to do a slow transition into this because the whole Keto-flu is something that can happen if you are doing the Atkins diet too. I do NOT have time for that. My job needs me and lets face it I need it. I do not get paid to blog so Que Dolly Parton and her song "Working 9-5"
Now I think that making a gradual adjustment into this is a good method for me that is!!! Some people can jump off whole hog into something but me I need to ease into things. We will just call it trust issues, what can I say. So this post will continue to be a work in progress so that as I discover some real tricks that help, I will post them, and hey maybe someone who is trying the same thing might find my tricks work for them. Who knows. I am no expert on this, but I do know my body and my needs, and right now I need a cracker!!!!